While Lamar School acknowledges the essential role of meaningful co-curricular pursuits and student leadership outside of the classroom, it is in the school's vibrant classrooms that students are invited to engage in the kind of disciplined, thoughtful, creative, and inquisitive intellectual work that will complete a core part of the school's mission: to "educate each individual by providing a challenging and purposeful college preparatory curriculum."
Lamar Elementary provides a multifaceted core curriculum. Special classes in art, physical education, music, Spanish, and library complete the schedule for those students in pre-kindergarten through fifth grade. Additionally, Lamar Elementary offers the Discovery Program for students in need of tutorial help and for students who have certified learning disabilities. The school provides a student services coordinator to track student progress and offer guidance.
Lamar Middle/High School offers a full range of courses designed to meet college admissions standards and requirements. Honors classes, Advanced Placement courses, and Dual Credit opportunites through Meridian Community College further equip our students to meet future academic challenges. A wide variety of elective courses allows each student to pursue his/her individual interests for a well-balanced and meaningful academic experience.
The college preparatory program at Lamar School readies our students for the next academic level. Notable indications that we are succeeding include the following consistent achievements by our graduating classes and our underclassmen:
- 100% acceptance at colleges and universities.
- Scholarship offerings each year in excess of $1,000,000.
- Naming of students as National Merit Scholarship Finalists, and National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists.
- Scoring above the state and national average on the ACT.
- Having a large number of our fourth through seventh grade students participate each year in the Duke University Talent Identification Program, based on outstanding performance in qualifying areas of our standardized testing program.
- Scoring in the top quartile (grades K-9) on nationally normed tests.
Lamar students participate and excel in a wide variety of community and nationally sponsored academic competitions and programs. These opportunities showcase the many academic accomplishments of Lamar students:
- Spelling Bees
- Honor Roll
- Duke Talent Identification Program
- National Merit Scholarship Program
- Advanced Placement Exams
- ACT and SAT
- National Honor Society
- National Beta Club
- National Junior Beta Club
- Mu Alpha Theta
- National Art Honor Society
- National Spanish Honor Society
- Quiz Bowl Teams
- Mississippi College Math and Science Tournament
- Mississippi Young Lawyer's Association Mock Trial Competition
- Robotics Teams
- You Be the Chemist State and National Competitions